Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

February 7, 2010………… 12pm

He blinks once for ‘Yes’ and twice for ‘No’. A full time writer (/dictator) and caretaker dictates alphabets to him and he blinks for the appropriate alphabet he wants to be jotted down for his book “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly”.

Amrita Gurung, a youth writer (reporter) for The Kathmandu Post, updates in her Facebook status a request for people in her contacts to watch a French movie made in 2007 named “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly”. I remember reading her reviews on movies and theater plays in ‘The City Post' and I really have
good impression of her critic ability. 

I knew the movie was in my collection. I didn't remember either I downloaded it or somebody had pasted it for me in my computer. Now, I have just finished watching it. It was really a great drama movie- a novel experiment or might be I was ignorant of such techniques. The camera person really has played half the role of the protagonist. 

The movie starts with some unfocused scenes to see. A doctor asks a patient his name and the patient says his name as Jean-Dominique Bauby (as played by Mathieu Amalric) and again the doctor asks time and again his and his children’s name to his realization that he is paralyzed. He can neither speak nor move. The human in him is same as he had before he went to coma but his external being is all paralyzed except an eye to communicate to the outer old. 

I felt really great to watch the movie through an eye being sewed or through a paralyzed body. The therapists, doctors, friends and family members stretching their head towards the only opened eye, the darkness as given by the blinking of eyes, a man’s desire for a woman in any condition and the humors always there in all sorts of life were really of superb keen insights by the makers. This is what I believe as trying out an experiment still conserving and promoting values and standards. 

No comments: